I always think of that scene from ACE Ventura when nature calls - a vision of Jim Carry leaving his body to find enlightenment.
Meditation has been used throughout the ages to promote:
- Increased energy
- Development of the mind and body
- Reduce anxiety
- Reduce stress
- Self regulation
- Anger management
- Enlightening ones self
- Increase cognitive function
- Increased memory recall
- Weight management
Meditation hosts a plethora of benefits that will help you in getting to your goals whether it be to reduce stress or create awareness there is something for all.
There are different techniques that will enable you wind down and become relaxed in a meditative state. Try the following.
- Turn off anything that will distract you
- Put your phone on silent so it wont disturb you
- Find a place where you can be comfortable
- Take a seat or lay down flat with a pillow supporting the head.
- Once you are seated get comfortable and close your eyes
- Firstly focus on your breath noticing the pattern as you inhale and exhale
- Breath deep into your stomach and out again in a steady rhythm
- Remember to keep calm and focus on your breath
- Take note of any noises or annoyances and just relax let go and focus on breathing
- As you become more relaxed focus on your calf muscles squeeze them and then relax them feeling any tension use your body
- Repeat the last step with other muscles to teach the body to relax and let go of tension
- After this is done go back to focusing on your breath
- When you feel ready slowly open your eyes and let yourself come around and become consciously aware
Build up to 15+ minutes per day as a minimum and feel the difference as time goes by. Give it a try and feel the benefits of meditation for mind body and soul - all the best everyone :)